The latest web design news from our melbourne based offices.
Update Joomla – Keeping Joomla web sites up to date with security updates
We are always having to help new clients upgrade or fix websites that have not been upgraded. Often this is after a hacking event where important website data has been lost or credit card information has been stolen.
There are many possible reasons for a web site being hacked, but one of the most common reasons is that the site is behind on security updates.
The danger of not keeping Joomla up-to-date
Websites are not just set up and leave alone, espescially in this era of hacking and malicious damage. Clients need to make sure that they constantly maintain their web site software. Even if it is working well, it doesn’t mean that it is safe.
However, a web site that works well now can be a security nightmare in a years time. Hackers are constantlly searching the internet looking for web sites with known vulnerabilities. Once they find one, they are quick to striek, and try to use your hacked web site to:
- Infect site users with viruses
- Send out spam emails
- Create links to spammy / illegal web sites
- Trick users into submitting their bank details
How to keep your Joomla web site up-to-date with security patches
Joomla 2.5, Joomla 3 and newer versions has a built in update system which is easy to use. However, you need to be careful that you:
- Don’t upgrade to the next major Joomla release without having prepared for it first. A major upgrade like this is complicated, and doing it without having prepared is likely to break your web site design.
- Keep up to date with the latest minor releases and updates for your version (i.e. version